Dates: Groundbreaking October 2, 1958. Dedication April 7, 1960.
Third floor renovated at the Porter Natural History Museum. Building renovated
1974. Building renovated 1999. In 1998, the Watson Life Sciences
Building was constructed. Jointly Dana and Watson make up the Baker-Watt
Quote: The new building, which will be architecturally
harmonious with other structures on the campus, is scheduled to be ready for
use in the fall of 1959. Its location was determined after a series of studies
of available locations and after unanimous vote of the faculty and trustees
committees on Buildings and Grounds and the Executive Committee of the
Trustees. The building will be a two story structure with partial basement and
will contain approximately 29,000 square feet of floor space. It is estimated
that it will cost between $550,000 and $600,000. Martin, D. Grier.
“Science Building.” Memorandum. 19 April 1958. Dana
Science Building Davidsoniana file. Davidson College Archives.
Named for: Charles A. Dana, attorney, industrialist, and