Dates: Built in 1914 as faculty residence. Student residence, 1980-1985.
Women’s Center 1980-1982. Remodeled in 1986 as Alumni Office. Remodeled
and renamed in honor of long-time employee Nancy Overcash Blackwell in 2000.
Quote: The College built this Main Street house in 1914 for Professor
Joseph M. McConnell, who would later serve as Davidson’s first academic dean.
At various times in its history, the McConnell House has been home to
students, faculty, and staff, including D. Grier Martin and family, who lived
here for 12 years before moving next door to the President’s home. In 1986,on
the eve of its Sesquicentennial, Davidson College established here its first
Alumni House. “The Alumni House.” Text from greeting card.
McConnell House Davidsoniana file. Davidson College Archives.
Named for: Professor Joseph Moore McConnell, professor of history and
economics (1903-1936), Dean of Faculty (1928-1940)
Renamed for: Nancy Overcash Blackwell, Alumni Office employee.